May 19, 2010
The results from the meeting of the Prime-Minister, Mr. Boyko Borisov, the Deputy Prime Minsiter and Minister of Finance, Mr. Simeon Dyankov, and the Minister of Education, Youth and Science, Mr. Simeon Ignatov, with the President of BAS, Academician Nikola Sabotinov, the Chairman of BAS General Assembly, Corresponding Member Stefan Vodenicharov, and the Scientific Secretary General of BAS, Prof. Stefan Hadjitodorov, can be summarized as follows:
- The autonomy and integrity of BAS are to be preserved;
- The reforms initiated by BAS are to be completed by the end of the current year;
- BAS is to become a first-tier budget appropriator, while its institutes, second-tier appropriators;
- In order to exercise control over the budget subsidy, BAS is to introduce the position of a financial manager by way of changing its Statutes. The financial manager will become a member of the BAS Board and will be appointed following a coordination between the Ministry of Finance and the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences;
- Representatives of university with which BAS has agreements and joint programs and projects, as well as of university with doctoral programs, will participate in the BAS General Assembly with the statute of observers;
- BAS real estate will continue to be fully owned by the Academy. BAS will continue to dispose with them, with the revenues being used to support the BAS activities.